European PVC yields to softening trend in India, US
PVC prices from the US have been offering a competitive edge in Europe since early March, weighing down on the global sentiment as demand has been poor in the US amidst record low spot ethylene prices. As for India, a Taiwanese major announced its May PVC offers with a more-than-expected decrease after four consecutive months of higher prices, which exaggerated the bearish sentiment across the region despite China’s firming local prices.
Although expectations for the next ethylene settlement stuck between lower spot ethylene prices and stronger energy costs, players concur that price hikes will not be workable in the European PVC market in May. A source from a West European producer said, “We heard about expectations of a €10/ton increase in the next ethylene contracts while we are expecting rollovers both for ethylene and PVC in May. PVC buyers may even try to obtain small discounts.”
A player commented, “Stronger naphtha and crude oil prices are likely to counterbalance lower spot ethylene prices; therefore, we expect no increases in May ethylene contracts. As for downstream PVC, meanwhile, we may see some decreases considering expectations of slower demand and the lack of supply concerns.”
Expectations of seeing a seasonal uptick in end demand have not materialized in Europe this month. Participants also reported that May will be a similar month to April in terms of festivities across Europe, which will reduce consumption further.
According to traders’ reports, a West European PVC maker has already revealed its May prices with rollovers for k67 and $20/ton drops for k70 from its latest April levels to the nearby Turkish market due to the ongoing weakness of demand.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East