ABS prices firm up in China on tightening supply
According to ChemOrbis Price Index, import ABS prices rose by around $22/ton on average since early June. The overall import range was reported at $1250-1370/ton CIF China/Hong Kong, cash.
A Korean producer who offers on the low end of the range said, “Demand remains weak due to the off season for both ABS and PS and we are willing to give some discounts to the buyers in order to conclude some deals. We believe that the upcoming G20 Summit and maintenance season during August will cause limited supply for PS and ABS and we prefer to take a wait and see stance for now.”
A trader also reported concluding deals for Taiwanese origins at $1320-1370/ton on CIF China/Hong Kong, cash equivalent basis, adding that they raised their ABS offers by $30/ton from a week earlier.
Similarly, the local market witnessed some increases and moved up to CNY10200-11400/ton ($1323-1479/ton excluding VAT).
A trader based in China informed that players were previously focused on clearing their inventories, but buyers have recently returned to the market to replenish stocks because of concerns of a possible supply tightness due to the upcoming G20 Summit. He attributed recent increases in ABS prices to the improving demand. The trader stated, “We also started replenishing material as we believe prices will firm up over the near term.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- December hints at further hikes in Europe’s PS, ABS markets
- Global polymer markets face soaring freights amid pent-up demand
- RCEP to boost Asia-Pacific polymer trade; will global PP, PE trade flows change?
- PVC sellers’ India pricing strategy may differ from other Asian markets
- More US PE offers find way to China, SE Asia; yet allocations still limited
- European PVC market hits 2-year high on tightness
- Supply constraints send key ABS markets to new highs
- Tightness leads to renewed PP hikes in China; Saudi raffia moves above $1000 CIF
- Asian PVC players brace for 7th straight monthly hike in Taiwanese major’s delayed Dec offers
- Saudi major seeks hikes for November in global PE, PP markets