ABS sellers face resistance in Asia ahead of high season
A Malaysian producer said that demand remains weak and they will need to adjust their offers down to be able to conclude some deals. “The highest level of bids we can receive is at least $40-50/ton below our current offer levels,” added the producer.
A trader offering Taiwanese ABS on the high end of the range in China agreed about the reluctance on the buyers’ side. “Considering that this price does not find acceptance, some step-back could be essential.”
Unlike the rest of the market, a Taiwanese producer claimed to have applied a modest increase on its ABS offers both to China and Southeast Asia this week, justifying it with higher ACN and butadiene prices. However, a company source also admitted, “Overall demand from end users is slow and traders are generally depleting their inventory by offering lower than the producers.”
Indeed, buyers have received competitive offers from traders as well as a Korean supplier in the past few weeks both in China and Southeast Asia. Pointing to the gap of $60/ton between the high end and the low end of the offers, a Chinese buyer said, “The Taiwanese producer on the high end may have to give in to some discounts.”
On the other hand, there are expectations voiced about a revival in demand for the last quarter among some players.
In Southeast Asia, an Indonesian buyer said, “Demand is improving albeit only slowly. Therefore, we are not in a hurry to purchase. Rather than imports, local prices are more competitive.” A second buyer said that they maintain their needs only buying in the midst of the slight revival of their end business. A Malaysian trader also expects demand to progress in October, although he also does not think that buyers will buy beyond their needs.
A Chinese producer, who held its ABS offers unchanged this week in the domestic market, reported, “Demand for ABS is not bad as the high season for ABS applications generally corresponds to September and October while the July- August period is the low season.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia