Acetylene and ethylene-based PVC move in opposite directions in China
Ethylene-based PVC prices up for 3rd week
The firming trend in ethylene-based PVC prices, which kicked off in late November, has been extended into this week mainly with support from tight availability. The 90-day truce on the China-US trade conflict also lent support to the market over the past week.
A source from an ethylene-based PVC producer reported increasing their offers by CNY100 ($15/ton) from their latest levels, citing limited supplies.
A trader based in Hangzhou opined “Ethylene-based PVC offers moved further up this week on limited availability while acetylene-based PVC offers witnessed slight decreases due to the weakness in the futures market.”
Acetylene-based PVC prices turn down
On the other hand, acetylene-based PVC prices have yielded to the weakness of futures prices and failed to sustain the consecutive gains of the last two weeks.
PVC futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange slumped CNY340/ton ($49/ton) on the week as of December 11.A source from an acetylene-based PVC producer commented, “Acetylene-based PVC prices are under pressure from weaker futures this week. Plus, the overall demand for PVC is weak amid the winter season.”
Gap between ethylene and acetylene based PVC widens
Following the recent movements, ethylene based PVC prices on an ex-warehouse China basis are currently trading with a premium of around $112/ton over acetylene based PVC, data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Index show.
The last time such a wide gap occurred between two products was mid-January 2017.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns