Acetylene and ethylene-based PVC move in opposite directions in China
Ethylene-based PVC prices up for 3rd week
The firming trend in ethylene-based PVC prices, which kicked off in late November, has been extended into this week mainly with support from tight availability. The 90-day truce on the China-US trade conflict also lent support to the market over the past week.
A source from an ethylene-based PVC producer reported increasing their offers by CNY100 ($15/ton) from their latest levels, citing limited supplies.
A trader based in Hangzhou opined “Ethylene-based PVC offers moved further up this week on limited availability while acetylene-based PVC offers witnessed slight decreases due to the weakness in the futures market.”
Acetylene-based PVC prices turn down
On the other hand, acetylene-based PVC prices have yielded to the weakness of futures prices and failed to sustain the consecutive gains of the last two weeks.
PVC futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange slumped CNY340/ton ($49/ton) on the week as of December 11.A source from an acetylene-based PVC producer commented, “Acetylene-based PVC prices are under pressure from weaker futures this week. Plus, the overall demand for PVC is weak amid the winter season.”
Gap between ethylene and acetylene based PVC widens
Following the recent movements, ethylene based PVC prices on an ex-warehouse China basis are currently trading with a premium of around $112/ton over acetylene based PVC, data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Index show.
The last time such a wide gap occurred between two products was mid-January 2017.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- RCEP to boost Asia-Pacific polymer trade; will global PP, PE trade flows change?
- PVC sellers’ India pricing strategy may differ from other Asian markets
- More US PE offers find way to China, SE Asia; yet allocations still limited
- European PVC market hits 2-year high on tightness
- Supply constraints send key ABS markets to new highs
- Tightness leads to renewed PP hikes in China; Saudi raffia moves above $1000 CIF
- Asian PVC players brace for 7th straight monthly hike in Taiwanese major’s delayed Dec offers
- Saudi major seeks hikes for November in global PE, PP markets
- Bullish sentiment for PE cools off across globe, LD remains resilient
- Bullish run for PVC enters 6th month in Turkey: Supply relief under question