Are hikes around the corner for Sept ethylene, propylene contracts in Europe?
Approaching cracker shutdowns alredy contributed to the monomer gains. You can always track the most updated status of existing plants and new capacity additions for polymers and monomers across the globe at a quick glance by visiting ChemOrbis Production News (For members only) .
According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices in Europe posted cumulative gains of around €115/ton since mid-July while spot propylene prices were €120/ton higher since the first half of July on a weekly average.
As can be seen in the below graph, spot ethylene prices currently stand at a 14 week high while propylene prices hit a 16 week high, respectively, on a weekly average basis.
Increase expectations for the monomer contracts reinforced bullish expectations among downstream PP and PE players, who were already anticipating a strong start to September based on supply issues and upstream gains.
A distributor from Northwest Europe said, “We expect small increases of around €20-30/ton on September ethylene contracts.”
August ethylene and propylene contracts were settled with rollovers from July, meanwhile.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy