Asian ABS producers’ ongoing firm pricing policy not followed by traders
A Taiwanese producer kept its ABS offers to China stable from a week earlier at $2080/ton CIF, cash, pointing to its limited allocations. On the traders’ side, however, offers were reported as low as $2030/ton CIF for the producer’s materials.
A Malaysian producer also maintained its ABS offers at the previous week’s levels, saying, “We think that the recent maritime control over Jiangsu Changjiang River will restrict styrene supplies to China, which might support spot prices in the near term. Plus, our ABS supplies remain tight. We think that ABS prices may not move above the $2100/ton CIF China, cash level, however they are likely to maintain their current levels for now.” The producer’s offer stands at $2050/ton CIF, cash.
A trader operating in Hong Kong commented, “Taiwanese and South Korean producers are reluctant to step back on their offers to China, citing their tight supplies. However, demand from end-users has slowed down recently. Prices might hover around their current levels in the days ahead.”
Another trader cut its ABS offers by $20-30/ton from last week, noting, “We had to correct our offers down due to fading demand. The market may not see any further revisions if spot styrene prices rebound and crude oil futures stabilize. On the other hand, demand is not giving any strong signals as Chinese players are set to leave their desks soon for the National Day holidays.”
Despite Asian producers’ efforts to keep the market on a firm path, overall import ABS prices witnessed weekly decreases of around $20-35/ton in line with lower offers from traders to be quoted at $1955-2100/ton CIF China, cash.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PLAST EURASIA 2022: Eyes on Russian and US supplies with demand woes in focus
- December PE offers to SE Asia imply further drops, yet to respond to China
- Has the bear market for Asian PVC almost run its course?
- Demand outlook for crude oil dims amid China worries
- Asian styrene prices rebound from almost two-year lows
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years