Asian PET players report tight supplies from Thailand
A source from the Thai producer commented, “Our local offers increased by THB1000/ton ($30/ton) this week. Demand is stable in the country while we receive more orders from Japan and other countries. Therefore, our export allocation is growing up.” Meanwhile, the producer’s local offers are standing at THB37,000/ton ($1122/ton) on FD Thailand, cash basis while export offers are reported at $1100/ton on FOB Thailand, cash basis.
A Vietnamese trader reported offering Thai PET at $1130/ton CIF and noted, “Our current offer is high as there has been a shortage of PET from Thailand. This is because Thai PET sellers are exporting to the Japanese market primarily.”
A source from a Taiwanese producer, whose offers stand at $1080/ton FOB Taiwan, cash, commented, “We have raised our export offers again and our target markets are mainly the Middle East and Japan so far. Meanwhile, buyers in the US are mostly sourcing from a Thai producer as there is no anti-dumping investigation for Thai origin. We think PET prices are likely to remain firm in the days ahead as strong crude oil prices seem to have reflected on PX and PTA prices.”
Another Vietnamese trader who received offers for Thai PET at $1130/ton CIF commented, “PET prices are firmer this week, especially Thai offers while Chinese cargoes are offering the most competitive levels. We are planning to make purchases next week in order to see whether this uptrend is sustainable. Meanwhile, demand towards our end-products is better given the approaching Chinese New Year.”
Meanwhile, a converter operating in Thailand’s local market noted, “PET supplies in Thailand are still tight as a local producer is exporting more allocation to the overseas markets while demand is slightly better.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey PP, PE markets propelled higher by shipping bottlenecks in Sept
- Are record-high PVC prices the new normal amid enduring pandemic?
- European PVC up for 16th month in Sept, prices touch new highs
- Egypt’s PP, PE markets rise on tightness in September
- Logistics snarls propel import PP, PE offers higher in Europe
- Import PVC prices near all-time highs in India, disparity with China/SEA grows
- PP, PE supplies rise in China; demand lags behind expectations despite peak season
- Stats: China’s July PE imports increase after 3 months of declines
- Will Asia’s PS markets follow ABS higher on cost support?
- Sept PET expectations diverge in shade of opposite factors in Europe