Asian PVC players gauge success of Taiwanese major’s Dec hikes
In China, the producer asked for $40/ton increases for December. The tightness in the country has already caused local ethylene based PVC prices to trade at par with acetylene based PVC prices. “Despite ongoing increases on prices, demand remains stable for PVC. Therefore, we don’t think that hike requests of suppliers will see any resistance in the import market,” commented a trader.
The producer asked for the same amount of increase in Southeast Asia. However, a few players in the region claimed that they were able to secure some material from the producer $10-20/ton below its list prices for December. A trader commented, “Discounts were provided for tonnages of 500 tons and above. The Taiwanese major’s export allocation is around 60-80,000 tons for December. As demand in India has weakened, discounts are offered to the Vietnamese market.”
When it comes to India, the government’s decision to withdraw the high-value banknotes from circulation has caused market activity to stall. For this reason, the Taiwanese major is asking for a smaller hike request of $20/ton to this market when compared to other regions.
“We are not feeling sure whether the major producer’s new offer level will see acceptance when the trading activity is almost muted. Suppliers are looking for ways to divert their cargoes to China as they are struggling to conclude deals in India despite the ongoing supply tightness,” said a trader.
A second trader affirmed the comments about slower sales and tight liquidity in the country. “Buyers are either cancelling their orders or requesting delays in their shipments. However, we do not think that this factor will push the Taiwanese major to revise its offers downwards because supply remains globally tight. If they cannot sell to India, they can shift their allocation to other regions.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia