Asian PVC players voice expectations for September pricing
Players’ expectations are mostly shaped by supply limitations. The major’s allocation to regional markets has been restrained since February. Meanwhile, local PVC prices inside China have been following a firming trend for the past three weeks on the back of stronger futures prices. PVC supplies have also been low in China due to environmental inspections and maintenance shutdowns.
These two bullish factors are believed to counterbalance slow demand from the Indian market given the devaluation of the rupee against the US dollar and ongoing monsoon rains.
In India, a trader noted, “We were informed that the Taiwanese major will probably apply a slight increase of $10/ton on its September PVC offers mainly due to limited allocation.”
Another trader also commented, “We expect the major producer to announce rollovers for September as slow demand from the Indian market will be offset by firmer prices in China and the major’s limited quota.”
In China, a source from an ethylene based PVC producer opined, “We lowered our offers to export markets by $10/ton this week as buyers in India are showing resistance to firmer prices. However, we heard that the major producer’s September offers will indicate rollovers to slight increases based on the uptrend in China’s domestic market and low allocation.”
In Malaysia, a trader also said, “The Malaysian PVC market is soft given the depreciation of the ringgit. We heard that the September pricing may indicate rollovers from August.”
On the other hand, some players in India speculated that any hike attempts will be hard to achieve considering stagnant activities, the monsoon season as well as the emergence of deep-sea cargoes.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?