Asian ethylene-naphtha spread at almost 7-year low
The spread was assessed at around $271/ton, indicating the lowest level since December 2012, with spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis recently hitting a decade low . After plunging by nearly $400/ton over a three-month period, spot ethylene market is looking to regain its footing amid firmer crude futures.
However, ample supplies have mostly kept momentum tilted to the downside in the Asian ethylene markets.
Naphtha gains 10% since early June
On the other hand, naphtha prices in Asia have found some support from the recent gains seen in crude oil prices . Although naphtha prices were last assessed 10% higher than early June levels, they remained 15% below the six-month peak seen in April.
Ethylene supply poised to remain long
LG Chem has recently restarted its naphtha-fed steam cracker in South Korea after shutting it down early this month due to an unexpected technical issue. Also in South Korea, Hanwha Total Petrochemical resumed operations at its cracker following repeated delays and YNCC’s steam cracker No. 1 cracker restarted late last week after a 35-day shutdown.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Indian PVC players expect bullish trend to taper off for August
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?