Asian ethylene sustains rally, moves back above LDPE, LLDPE in China, SEA
Uptrend kicked off in January due to healthy buying, low supply
The main drivers behind the climbing ethylene market were cited as limited availability and healthy buying interest from players in China. Demand from styrene producers particularly increased in the period before Lunar New Year holidays.
Spot ethylene soared by 30% since 2019 started
The delta between spot naphtha and ethylene prices widened to almost $640/ton, which pointed to the highest gap since September 2018, as can be seen on the graph below obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard. This also verifies that the 30% surge of ethylene was mostly driven by supply-demand dynamics rather than upstream naphtha prices, which have held almost flat on CFR Japan basis since mid-January.
Around 3 mil tons of capacity is set to be offline in March-June
Several steam crackers in China, South Korea and Japan are readying for planned turnarounds in March-June. This is likely to keep overall ethylene supplies restricted across Asia in the second quarter of the year. Approximately 3.3 million tons/year ethylene capacity will be taken offline in total albeit for different durations within the next few months.
Rising ethylene lends support to import PE markets
Rapidly rising spot ethylene prices also provided support for downstream PE producers. Import PE prices in China and Southeast Asia have recently been steady to $10-20/ton higher when compared to the last week prior to Lunar New Year holidays. According to players, bullish ethylene prices counterbalanced the ongoing holiday lull and ample supplies.
Ethylene moves around $100 above LDPE, LLDPE again
The weekly average data from ChemOrbis revealed that spot ethylene prices on CFR FEA basis are currently carrying a premium of around $100/ton over import LDPE and LLDPE film offers both in China and Southeast Asia.
Ethylene already traded well above LDPE, LLDPE in Jan-Oct 2018
Despite the fact that ethylene should theoretically trade below PE prices under balanced market conditions, it stood well above import LDPE and LLDPE prices across Asia throughout the first 10 months of 2018. After trading below PE prices for the last three months, spot ethylene prices have again climbed above LDPE and LLDPE recently, based on the weekly average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?