Asian monomer markets unresponsive to multi-month high oil prices
WTI crude gains 17% in the past three months
According to the weekly average data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard, WTI and Brent crude oil futures gained respectively 17% and 15% since the uptrend kicked-off by the second half of October.
This was attributed to soothing concerns over a US-China trade deal after 17-month long tensions, rising OPEC output cuts and fears of supply disruption from the Middle East.
Naphtha, benzene stabilize at multi-month highs
ChemOrbis data also suggest that spot naphtha prices on CFR Japan basis and benzene prices on FOB Korea basis recently stabilized at their highest levels in the past 8 months and 14 months respectively, in sync with steady gains in crude and the year-end lull.
Spot ethylene looks for direction
Having reached their highest levels throughout 2019 by mid-February, spot ethylene prices on CFR China basis lost around 37% until late December, ChemOrbis data reveal.
Asian spot ethylene market is now seeking direction amid opposite factors. On one hand, there are firmer oil futures and spot naphtha costs while the downstream PE trend is weak under the shadow of upcoming capacities on the other hand.
Spot propylene cautiously responds to firmer oil, yet still weak
Asian propylene market is the only monomer displaying a recovery during the final days of the year with the upward pressure from crude.
Yet, spot prices on FOB Korea basis are still closing the year at a more than three year-low. Thin demand and the lack of support from the downstream polypropylene markets were cited as factors behind the propylene market’s weak performance in 2019.
Spot styrene market lacks clarity
Spot styrene prices on CFR China/FOB Korea basis mostly fluctuated throughout December, pushing market players to maintain their cautious stance despite the bullish run in crude.
Going forward, the upcoming maintenance shutdowns at styrene plants across Asia scheduled for the first half of 2020 and new styrene capacities set to be launched by the same period in China lead to more uncertainty.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will China’s recovery mitigate bearish pressure on SEA PP market?
- Expectations for May PVC pricing call for sharp decreases in Asia
- Confusion over Vietnam lockdown drives local PE prices to fresh lows
- European PVC producers start revealing April offers, drops vary in size
- April drops send import PP to 4-year low in Turkey, PE lowest in 12 years
- Vietnam’s homo-PP market plunges to lowest since 2009
- China’s total PE imports in Jan-Feb fail to catch up with last year’s record on coronavirus
- Saudi major announces April PP, PE prices with sizeable drops as lockdown ramps up
- European PET demand soars, will it alleviate cost pressure?
- US PE pioneers aggressive prices globally, responding to energy slump