Asian players evaluate Indonesia’s new ADD on PET imports
An Indonesian converter commented, “We heard that KADI is going to conduct a public hearing to discuss antidumping duties on PET from China, South Korea and Malaysia by early August. We are worried about how the implementation of the ADD will affect our business, as we are not sure if local producers can feed the market with sufficient supplies. We are planning to build extra inventory for Chinese PET if there is a grace period of around 3-6 months. Meanwhile, we are looking into the producers in Thailand as Malaysian Recron is also slated to have ADD.”
A bottle manufacturer in Malaysia noted, “We think that PET prices will be affected by the new ADD in the middle term as Chinese suppliers will try to divert their allocations to Malaysia and other regional countries rather than Indonesia once the ADD starts to be implemented.”
A trader operating in Taiwan opined, “We were experiencing the disadvantage of the customs duties on Taiwanese PET in the past. Now, the same customs duty is being imposed on both Chinese and Taiwanese materials. If Indonesia puts ADD on Chinese PET, this might create some opportunities for us and Taiwanese PET may grow its market share in Indonesia.”
A Chinese PET producer said, “We heard that there is no official announcement about the ADD yet. However, our sales to Indonesia will be significantly hindered once the duties come into effect.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm