Asian players evaluate Indonesia’s new ADD on PET imports
An Indonesian converter commented, “We heard that KADI is going to conduct a public hearing to discuss antidumping duties on PET from China, South Korea and Malaysia by early August. We are worried about how the implementation of the ADD will affect our business, as we are not sure if local producers can feed the market with sufficient supplies. We are planning to build extra inventory for Chinese PET if there is a grace period of around 3-6 months. Meanwhile, we are looking into the producers in Thailand as Malaysian Recron is also slated to have ADD.”
A bottle manufacturer in Malaysia noted, “We think that PET prices will be affected by the new ADD in the middle term as Chinese suppliers will try to divert their allocations to Malaysia and other regional countries rather than Indonesia once the ADD starts to be implemented.”
A trader operating in Taiwan opined, “We were experiencing the disadvantage of the customs duties on Taiwanese PET in the past. Now, the same customs duty is being imposed on both Chinese and Taiwanese materials. If Indonesia puts ADD on Chinese PET, this might create some opportunities for us and Taiwanese PET may grow its market share in Indonesia.”
A Chinese PET producer said, “We heard that there is no official announcement about the ADD yet. However, our sales to Indonesia will be significantly hindered once the duties come into effect.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- RCEP to boost Asia-Pacific polymer trade; will global PP, PE trade flows change?
- PVC sellers’ India pricing strategy may differ from other Asian markets
- More US PE offers find way to China, SE Asia; yet allocations still limited
- European PVC market hits 2-year high on tightness
- Supply constraints send key ABS markets to new highs
- Tightness leads to renewed PP hikes in China; Saudi raffia moves above $1000 CIF
- Asian PVC players brace for 7th straight monthly hike in Taiwanese major’s delayed Dec offers
- Saudi major seeks hikes for November in global PE, PP markets
- Bullish sentiment for PE cools off across globe, LD remains resilient
- Bullish run for PVC enters 6th month in Turkey: Supply relief under question