Asian players respond to Brexit vote
A producer in Thailand commented, “Demand has been weakening due to the rainy season. Moreover, UK’s decision to leave the EU affected particularly export markets.” He thinks that the upward sentiment may not be as strong as the previous weeks since the retail market is still slow. Therefore, they prefer to wait and see until obtaining a clearer picture of the market.
A trader in Vietnam said that players are sourcing cautiously following UK’s exit from the EU. He believes that the upward momentum will not be sustainable as demand from Europe is not quite strong and market players will stay on the sidelines due to Brexit’s impact and uncertainties. A shopping bag manufacturer in Vietnam also reported that they take a wait and see position on the back of lower crude oil following the Brexit news.
Meanwhile, a PVC producer in China reported that they have not seen any impact of Brexit so far; “however expectations are calling for a softer demand in Europe after some time,” he said. A trader made a similar comment saying, “The stock market turned bearish but it pared its losses later on. Although people continue to buy on a needs only basis, local and import prices have still been on a firm note.” A second trader attributed the price increases recorded throughout the past two weeks to the significant increases in future prices as well as reduced stocks both in the import and local markets.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion