Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
Spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis last traded at a discount to propylene in November 2013, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
The ongoing shortage of domestic supply was cited among the factors driving the propylene prices up while a growing supply glut pulled the spot ethylene prices further down in Asia.
The premium of Asian spot ethylene prices began to tail off in August as spot prices started to weaken to hit a 15-month low amid ample inventories and muted trading activities.
On the other hand, spot propylene prices on FOB Korea basis moved up to their highest levels since October 2014, with support from the limited regional availability.
In plant news, South Korea’s YNCC and the Chinese SECCO began maintenance works at their propylene units earlier this month. Both units are expected to remain offline until next month.
To track the most updated PP production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand