Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
Spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis last traded at a discount to propylene in November 2013, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
The ongoing shortage of domestic supply was cited among the factors driving the propylene prices up while a growing supply glut pulled the spot ethylene prices further down in Asia.
The premium of Asian spot ethylene prices began to tail off in August as spot prices started to weaken to hit a 15-month low amid ample inventories and muted trading activities.
On the other hand, spot propylene prices on FOB Korea basis moved up to their highest levels since October 2014, with support from the limited regional availability.
In plant news, South Korea’s YNCC and the Chinese SECCO began maintenance works at their propylene units earlier this month. Both units are expected to remain offline until next month.
To track the most updated PP production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Taiwanese major’s Dec PVC offers to Asia match initial expectations
- Spot C3 in Asia and Europe plunges on lower crude, US shows uptick
- Local PET markets across SE Asia hit multi-month lows
- Import PS prices sink to 15-month low in China, SEA
- Supply woes from Europe push Turkey’s PVC market cautiously up
- China’s PE market remains on bearish note amid subdued demand
- Styrene prices lose 25-30% globally since August
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats further on weak demand
- Export PET prices out of Asia sink to 7-month low
- Will hike targets fail in Europe's PE market?