Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
Spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis last traded at a discount to propylene in November 2013, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
The ongoing shortage of domestic supply was cited among the factors driving the propylene prices up while a growing supply glut pulled the spot ethylene prices further down in Asia.
The premium of Asian spot ethylene prices began to tail off in August as spot prices started to weaken to hit a 15-month low amid ample inventories and muted trading activities.
On the other hand, spot propylene prices on FOB Korea basis moved up to their highest levels since October 2014, with support from the limited regional availability.
In plant news, South Korea’s YNCC and the Chinese SECCO began maintenance works at their propylene units earlier this month. Both units are expected to remain offline until next month.
To track the most updated PP production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low