Bearish February expectations hamper PVC demand in Italy
Spot PVC prices are at €680-720/ton for k67 and at €690-750/ton for specialty grades FD, 60/90 days. Following the January reductions, prices have reached the lowest levels seen since June 2009.
A West European producer is giving offers for their January gentlemen’s agreements with decreases of €50/ton from last month. A producer source said, “We are planning to reflect less than half of the ethylene drop to our prices in order to recover our margins. Meanwhile, demand is weak since buyers are waiting to see if PVC prices will lose further ground.”
An agent of another West European supplier reported concluding some deals with decreases of €65/ton from last month. According to the distributor, the market is calm as buyers are confident about seeing further decreases in February.
Indeed, buyers remain cautious about their purchases due to bearish expectations stemming from retreating upstream markets, with spot ethylene prices dropping around €70/ton from early January levels to hit the €700/ton threshold on an FD NWE basis.
A compounder reported, “We haven’t made any purchases yet as we think that sellers might concede to discounts larger than €60/ton in the upcoming days. We expect PVC prices to decline further in February in line with decreasing costs.” Another compounder made some purchases €60-65/ton below last month. The buyer said, “Sellers, who initially lowered their prices by €50/ton, conceded to slightly larger discounts of €60/ton this week. We expect the downward trend to remain in place next month.”
In the import market, a converter bought Egyptian k67 at €650/ton CIF, 90 days deferred payment. The buyer thinks that PVC prices might reach the €600/ton threshold in February.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East