ChemOrbis 2nd PO Event: Iran will add new PE, PP capacities in 2015-2017
“A regional trade agreement between Turkey and Iran in the framework of Economic Cooperation Organization (ECOTTA) will be fulfilled in the near future. 25% of Iran’s Polyolefin export share belongs to Turkey. The two countries are enjoying shared borders in one the most important transit routes in the world,” highlighted Mr. Mirkarimi.
Iran ranked as the third largest exporter of PP to Turkey with 108,000 tons in 2014 when compared to 29,000 tons in 2012. “There is a high potential to export special grades for nonwoven fibers, household appliances and automotive industries,” Kambiz Mirkarimi said.
Continuous transportation issues at the Iran-Turkey border is an obstacle to increasing the trade volume of commodities between the two commodities as is the high level of bureaucracy in both countries. Other challenges include slow progress in implementing the ECO trade agreement and the lack of any other significant tariff preferences between the two countries (from 2014 customs duties on PE and PP from Iran increased from 3% to 6.5% in Turkey).
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam PP market yet to respond to faltering upturn in China
- Turkey’s PE market stuck between weak fundamentals and up pressure from China
- Firming PP trend falters in China’s local market
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe