ChemOrbis 2nd PVC Event: Turkey’s main PVC source shifting from W.Europe to US
“Turkey’s main PVC source shifted from West Europe to the US in the last 10 years. Our dependency on US PVC has increased a lot despite customs and anti-dumping duties on US origins,” Kocaoglu said. Indeed, the US is the top exporter of the world owing to the cost advantage of shale gas.
Kocaoglu stated that Petkim has a 15% market share as the sole domestic producer in Turkey, adding that the market is driven by construction and framework spending although export business to countries like Iraq and Syria was hurt in the past year due to political instability.
“Turkey has surpassed Germany in PVC window production with profiles counting for a 40% share in end use breakdown. Consumption in Turkey is expected to hit 1,230,000 tons/year by 2020. At least 1-2 plants need to be built in the country in the next 15 years,” he highlighted.
Regarding the next five years, demand in Asia Pacific is expected to be driven by an emerging middle class leading to vast expansion of housing and urban infrastructure, Kocaoglu commented. In a regional comparison, Asia Pacific had a 59% share in global PVC demand in 2014.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September