ChemOrbis Europe Petrochemicals Conference: Growth prospects for the global PET market
Bertaggia noted that global PET consumption is projected to grow by 4.9% year on year in 2016, with the Asia Pasific region accounting for over 37% of the current global consumption followed by North America. Asia currently holds a 50% share in global PET capacity, which is projected to increase by another 9% by 2016.
According to Bertaggia, China’s PET exports exceeded 2.1 million tons in 2014. “Export PET prices from China have fallen from an average of $1270/ton in September 2014 to $920/ton in January and the current spot PET prices are below the $900/ton threshold,” Bertaggia stated.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets