ChemOrbis launches PET flake coverage for Turkey
PET is used as a raw material in the manufacturing of packaging materials including bottles and containers for packaging a wide range of food products and other consumer goods like edible oils, beverages, soft drinks, detergents, pharmaceutical products and cosmetics.
The empty PET packaging is discarded by the consumer after use and becomes PET waste, which is referred to as “post-consumer PET” in the recycling industry.
The collected post-consumer PET is taken to recycling centers (MRF-materials recovery facilities) where it is sorted and separated from other materials such as metal, objects made out of other rigid plastics such as PP, PVC, HDPE, flexible plastics used for bags (generally LDPE), drink cartons, glass and others which is not made out of PET.
Post-consumer PET is usually sorted into different color fractions: transparent/blue, green colored and mixed colors fraction. PET flakes are often used in yarn and fibre production.
According to domestic PET Flake producers, Turkey’s monthly production is estimated to be at around 30,000 tons. The figure approximately corresponds to about 20-25% of total PET bottle consumption in the country when imports varying between 5,000-10,000 tons/month are excluded.
Exports boosted by the depreciation of Turkish lira in the third quarter of 2018 roughly stands at around 1,000-1,500 tons/month.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Global polymer markets face soaring freights amid pent-up demand
- RCEP to boost Asia-Pacific polymer trade; will global PP, PE trade flows change?
- PVC sellers’ India pricing strategy may differ from other Asian markets
- More US PE offers find way to China, SE Asia; yet allocations still limited
- European PVC market hits 2-year high on tightness
- Supply constraints send key ABS markets to new highs
- Tightness leads to renewed PP hikes in China; Saudi raffia moves above $1000 CIF
- Asian PVC players brace for 7th straight monthly hike in Taiwanese major’s delayed Dec offers
- Saudi major seeks hikes for November in global PE, PP markets
- Bullish sentiment for PE cools off across globe, LD remains resilient