Chevron’s profit falls 37% in Q3, but exceeds estimates
Net income of the company decreased to $1.28 billion or $0.68 per share from $2.04 billion or $1.09 per share in Q3 of 2015. However, analysts’ average expectations excluding special items had called for a profit of $0.37 per share for the third quarter.
Chevron’s total revenues and other income dropped 12% to $30.14 billion in the third quarter of 2016, when compared to $34.32 billion in the same period of the previous year, beating analysts’ average forecasts calling for $29.05 billion.
Earnings for the upstream segment increased to $454 million from $59 million a year earlier while downstream segment earnings decreased 52% to $1.07 billion. Earnings at Chevron’s upstream arm, which produces oil and natural gas, jumped more than sevenfold as costs in the United States dropped and tax expenses fell. However, Chevron’s refining arm saw profit drop more than 50 percent as margins dropped both within and outside the United States.
The drop in the downstream segment, meanwhile, was attributed to lower earnings from Chevron Phillips Chemical Company and refined product sales’ lower margins.
The company’s sales and other operating revenues fell by 11% to $29.16 billion in the third quarter when compared to $32.77 billion in the same quarter of the last year.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Europe’s PE markets under pressure from rising supplies
- PP demand fares better than PE in Turkey
- Taiwanese major poised to come lower for a 3rd month to Asian PVC markets
- Covid concerns loom large in China, hitting demand and supply-chain
- Egypt’s PVC markets extend drops into January
- SE Asian PP, PE markets look for direction amid tepid demand, rising freights
- European PS, ABS markets open 2022 on firm footing
- Asia PET prices extend gains into January
- China’s PVC exports hit records in 2021; challenge global suppliers
- Stats: Turkey’s PP, PE imports on track for record-setting year