China import PE markets stay bearish on tightened measures, falling yuan
Adding to the scenario was the yuan’s depreciation against the USD. According to media sources, the currency has lost over 4.5% to the USD since the beginning of April.
The last time such a rapid depreciation was experienced was in 2015. This has also hindered demand for import cargoes further, keeping buyers’ eyes on the local markets when it comes to urgent needs.
A trader said, “Import PE prices are dropping further this week due to sluggish demand and weaker Dalian futures values in the early week amid lower energy values. Shanghai tightens lockdown which has been in place for the past six weeks while there are mass testings in the capital Beijing. Demand is limited especially for import cargoes, as the yuan is depreciating against the USD. China’s April exports
were the slowest in the past two years, adding further pressure on China’s economy and raising concerns among players.”
CIF China PE prices fall back to January lows
ChemOrbis Price Wizard shows that the weekly averages of LDPE, HDPE, and LLDPE film prices on CIF China basis have been losing ground since early April, moving back to the lowest levels since mid to late January.
LDPE film falls below $1500 CIF mark, $20-50 losses for HD, LLDPE film
The overall range for import LDPE prices has fallen $30-60/ton from last week so far to stand at $1450-1480/ton CIF China, cash recently.
As for HDPE and LLDPE film, the overall ranges have decreased $20-50/ton from last week so far to stand at $1150-1190/ton and $1140-1300/ton CIF China, cash basis, respectively.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PVC markets dive to a year-low, what lies ahead?
- Clouds hang over China's PP, PE and PVC markets again on fears of fresh clusters
- Expectations offer a mixed bag for Taiwanese major’s July PVC prices
- Demand slowdown accelerates in African PP, PE markets in June
- Europe’s PS, ABS markets supported by higher styrene, will it last long?
- Import PP prices signal recovery, PE yet to follow in India
- Sentiment shifts in Asia PVC markets after almost two months
- Will rollover attempts for PVC prove workable in Europe?
- Middle Eastern PP, PE markets slide as demand disappoints in June
- All eyes on China upon easing restrictions: Road to recovery to be bumpy for PP, PE and PVC across Asia