China’s ABS market under downward pressure
Over the past week, import ABS offers moved below the $2000/ton threshold in China while local prices also posted declines, following the $80/ton weekly drops in spot butadiene prices on CFR China basis.
“Suppliers’ warehouses are full of ABS materials, and traders are digesting their stocks. Although most converters have low inventory levels, they are unwilling to make purchases when prices are falling,” said a trader.
A Southeast Asian producer also confirmed the increased inventory levels in China and added, “Producers are trying to keep their offers stable while Chinese buyers are giving firm bids. If styrene prices will continue to fall, the market will be poorly affected; however, the spot styrene prices may firm up again given the upcoming maintenance period.”
Regarding the market outlook, divergent expectations are voiced by the market players. Some players believe that the downward trend in the ABS market will last due to the high inventory levels and weak demand while some do not exclude the possibility of seeing a rebound in prices in the medium term pointing to the maintenance season in the Asian styrene market in the March-June period.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September