China’s ABS market under downward pressure
Over the past week, import ABS offers moved below the $2000/ton threshold in China while local prices also posted declines, following the $80/ton weekly drops in spot butadiene prices on CFR China basis.
“Suppliers’ warehouses are full of ABS materials, and traders are digesting their stocks. Although most converters have low inventory levels, they are unwilling to make purchases when prices are falling,” said a trader.
A Southeast Asian producer also confirmed the increased inventory levels in China and added, “Producers are trying to keep their offers stable while Chinese buyers are giving firm bids. If styrene prices will continue to fall, the market will be poorly affected; however, the spot styrene prices may firm up again given the upcoming maintenance period.”
Regarding the market outlook, divergent expectations are voiced by the market players. Some players believe that the downward trend in the ABS market will last due to the high inventory levels and weak demand while some do not exclude the possibility of seeing a rebound in prices in the medium term pointing to the maintenance season in the Asian styrene market in the March-June period.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy