China’s LDPE, LLDPE markets slightly recover ahead of holiday
The overall import price ranges in China were stable to $10-23/ton higher on the week for LDPE and LLDPE whereas additional declines of $20-30/ton were recorded for HDPE film. Players in other major markets including Southeast Asia and Turkey also commented that the outlook for HDPE was weighed down by slow demand and the presence of competitive American cargos.
“The PE sentiment was still weaker than PP, yet LDPE and LLDPE prices gained some ground since packaging converters started to replenish their stocks,” traders in China noted.
Nonetheless, whether LDPE and LLDPE prices in the country will preserve their slightly firmer note following the holiday remains as a question mark as the market continues to face volatility due to an escalating trade war between China and the US. The third round of US tariffs on $200 billion Chinese goods took effect as of September 24.
“Chinese PE converters are expressing their concerns about their end product exports in the fourth quarter of the year given the latest round of US tariffs,” also stated a trader.
“Operating rates are gradually increasing in the agricultural film sector. However, we aren’t expecting PE prices to follow an uptrend after the holiday in case buying interest fades, considering the current economic conditions stemming from the levied US tariffs and the weak Chinese yuan.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?