China’s LDPE, LLDPE markets slightly recover ahead of holiday
The overall import price ranges in China were stable to $10-23/ton higher on the week for LDPE and LLDPE whereas additional declines of $20-30/ton were recorded for HDPE film. Players in other major markets including Southeast Asia and Turkey also commented that the outlook for HDPE was weighed down by slow demand and the presence of competitive American cargos.
“The PE sentiment was still weaker than PP, yet LDPE and LLDPE prices gained some ground since packaging converters started to replenish their stocks,” traders in China noted.
Nonetheless, whether LDPE and LLDPE prices in the country will preserve their slightly firmer note following the holiday remains as a question mark as the market continues to face volatility due to an escalating trade war between China and the US. The third round of US tariffs on $200 billion Chinese goods took effect as of September 24.
“Chinese PE converters are expressing their concerns about their end product exports in the fourth quarter of the year given the latest round of US tariffs,” also stated a trader.
“Operating rates are gradually increasing in the agricultural film sector. However, we aren’t expecting PE prices to follow an uptrend after the holiday in case buying interest fades, considering the current economic conditions stemming from the levied US tariffs and the weak Chinese yuan.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market extends drops on competitive US cargos, lukewarm demand
- Vietnam’s import PP raffia market hits lowest since late 2016
- Spot styrene prices in Europe find mild support from upcoming turnarounds
- Export PET prices from China signal stabilization after 6 weeks of declines
- SEA PE market remains under pressure from flood of competitive US offers
- PS markets plunge to 3-year low in China, SEA
- Yuan devaluation sends import LLDPE, HDPE back to 10-year low in China
- PET markets hit two-year low in China, SEA
- Naphtha hits lowest of 2 years in Europe, 8 months in Asia; eyes on oil
- Downturn halts in Europe’s PP, PE and PVC markets ahead of holidays