China’s Oct polymer imports down on month, up on year
Data also show that the country’s overall polymer imports in the January-October period increased by around 15% when compared to the same period of last year.
The top five polymer exporters to China in October were Saudi Arabia (278,001 tons), South Korea (190,493 tons), Iran (168,025 tons), the United Arab Emirates (166,439 tons) and Taiwan (163, 334 tons).
In product-based breakdown, China’s HDPE imports decreased 6.7% in October when compared to the previous month to reach 528,666 tons. On a yearly basis, HDPE imports surged 44%. Saudi Arabia was the top HDPE supplier to China with 130,326 tons, the largest volume since March 2015. Saudi Arabia was followed by the United Arab Emirates (98,489 tons) and Iran (97,963 tons).
LLDPE imports were around 22.6% lower on a month over month basis to be reported at 252,018 tons in October. When compared to the same month of 2016, they jumped by around 36%. Saudi Arabia was the top supplier to China with 75,439 tons, followed by Singapore (65,288 tons) and Thailand (29,243 tons).
LDPE imports in October were down by around 9.2% from a month earlier to be reported at 201,507 tons. On a yearly basis, on the other hand, they increased significantly by around 39%. Iran was the top LDPE supplier to China with 57,047 tons, followed by the United Arab Emirates (25,781 tons).
Imports for homo-PP decreased around 9.7% from September to 246,107 tons in October while they were mostly unchanged when compared to the same month of 2016. South Korea remained at the top of the homo-PP import list with 66,649 tons, followed by Saudi Arabia (37,922 tons) and Singapore (26,665 tons).
PP copolymer imports retreated by 14% month over month to reach 96,111 tons in October. On a yearly basis PP copolymer imports also declined 19.2%. Singapore was the top exporter to China with 29,016 tons, followed by Taiwan (23,091 tons) and the South Korea (17,894 tons).
China’s PVC imports plunged by around 33.2% on a month over month basis in October to reach 56,389 tons after reaching the biggest import volume since August 2012 last month. The US stood at the top of the October PVC import list with 21,643 tons, followed by Taiwan (14,931 tons) and Japan (9,103 tons).
Imports for PS were down by 27.6% from a month earlier to 38,367 tons in October. When compared to the same month of 2016, they posted an increase of around 16.2%. Taiwan was the top PS exporter to China with 16,178 tons.
For ABS, the country’s October imports declined by 22.4% to reach 123,388 tons while they were mostly unchanged from a year ago. Taiwan was at the top of the ABS import list 64,859 tons, followed by South Korea (34,899 tons).
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Aggressive US PE prices find way to Türkiye, Africa amid year-end stock clearing
- PLAST EURASIA 2023: Players discuss PP, PE outlook amid financial challenges
- Stats: India’s Jan-Sep PVC imports surge, China takes the lion’s share despite safeguard investigation
- Sentiment weakens across African PP, PE markets in November
- HDPE film drops faster than other two main PE film grades in China
- PE prices see larger drops than C2 in Italy, unlike West Europe
- Weak demand sends Türkiye’s styrenics markets to multi-month lows
- Bearish sentiment spills over to Middle Eastern PP, PE markets in November
- Dull demand dents PE outlook in SE Asia for rest of year
- China’s local PP markets snap 6-week downtrend, players skeptical