China’s PE market remains weak despite turnaround season
Futures prices on the Dalian Commodity Exchange, meanwhile, are still lower compared to last month despite a cumulative gain of $42/ton posted during last week and this is also contributing to the persistent bearish sentiment in the country.
A few traders commented, “Sellers in China focus on re-exporting activities in hopes of achieving better netbacks in other markets. Local supplies are growing in the face of stagnant demand.”
On the other hand, China’s PE market is preparing for a turnaround season which is set to start in March. Several plants are planned to be shut for maintenance until the end of the second quarter. Although the start of the turnaround season is creating some rebound expectations on the sellers’ side, players mostly concur that the market remains indifferent to upcoming shutdowns since demand is not strong enough to digest the existing high stocks.
To track the most updated PE production news, please see PE Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy