China’s PP, PE markets defy global firming
The first sign of weakness came from LDPE in early February right after the holidays while HDPE and LLDPE prices were firm at that time. LDPE prices were considered inflated both in the local and import market and therefore, the sharpest decrease has been witnessed on this product as ChemOrbis Price Index reveals a decrease of around $150/ton on average local prices when compared to late January.
By mid February, LLDPE and HDPE prices followed suit and softened in the local market while import offers stabilized. The softening has become more evident this week with import offers easing down and local offers posting further declines.
The PP market has shown a relatively stronger stance than the PE market in the same timeframe. Local prices first weakened in mid-February. The decreases seen since then in the local market have also been modest. The import market, in the meantime, has edged down for the first time this week after weeks of firmer prices.
Although the trend is upwards in many global markets on the heels of tight supplies and higher costs, China appears to be defying this trend as the pressure from high stocks in the domestic market and falling futures prices have gained more prominence in setting the tone of the market for now.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Ethylene prices hit fresh lows in Asia, Europe; US holds steady
- ABS prices see more-than-a-year low in Asia, Europe
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period