China’s PP, PE sentiment boosted by surging futures, PVC unresponsive
May LLDPE futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange closed CNY245/ton ($36/ton) higher at CNY10155/ton ($1260/ton without VAT) on December 7. On a weekly comparison, futures surged by CNY890/ton ($129/ton).
Looking at PP, May futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange closed CNY423/ton ($61/ton) higher at CNY9315/ton ($1155/ton without VAT) on Wednesday, December 7. PP futures skyrocketed by CNY1128/ton ($164/ton) from a week earlier.
A trader operating in Guangzhou attributed firming sentiment to higher crude oil prices which surged after OPEC’s decision to cut production. “Local PP and PE markets increased by around CNY200-300/ton ($29-44/ton) when compared to last week while overall ranges for import prices are stable to $20-30/ton firmer. Following the crude oil gains, PP and LLDPE futures witnessed visible increases since both CNPC and Sinopec are still reported to have low inventory levels. However, demand is still not supporting the current scene at all,” the seller commented.
An Indonesian woven bag converter stated, “We are not feeling sure whether the recent upturn in China will be sustained next week as demand is not strong enough to support firmer prices now. We already covered our needs until February; hence we are now on the sidelines of the market, only monitoring the developments.”
In China, the overall range for import PP raffia prices currently stand at $1020-1050/ton on a CIF, cash equivalent basis. For PE, import ranges are currently quoted at $1320-1360/ton for LDPE film, at $1118-1180/ton for HDPE film and at $1060-1231/ton for LLDPE film with the same terms.
Meanwhile, in the local PVC market, prices were reported to remain on a softening note this week despite the recent bullish developments both in the upstream and futures markets. The softening was led by slowing demand in line with the beginning of off-season for PVC applications as well as increasing supplies from import markets arriving at the eastern parts of China. Meanwhile, many buyers concurred that China’s local acetylene based PVC market had already reached its peak levels in the past weeks.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PVC downturn persists in China’s local market despite bullish imports
- China's PP market at almost 2-year low; H2 outlook bearish
- Asian spot ethylene market plunges to decade low
- Early July expectations emerge softer in Europe’s PP market
- Import PE prices fall to lowest in more than a decade across Asia
- Tightness pushes Asian PVC markets to 3-month high
- China’s PE market continues bearish run on sluggish demand
- PP and PE markets turn softer in Egypt, Mid-East
- European PET extends bearish trend into 3rd consecutive month
- European PS, ABS markets down after 4 months