China’s PP, PE sentiment boosted by surging futures, PVC unresponsive
May LLDPE futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange closed CNY245/ton ($36/ton) higher at CNY10155/ton ($1260/ton without VAT) on December 7. On a weekly comparison, futures surged by CNY890/ton ($129/ton).
Looking at PP, May futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange closed CNY423/ton ($61/ton) higher at CNY9315/ton ($1155/ton without VAT) on Wednesday, December 7. PP futures skyrocketed by CNY1128/ton ($164/ton) from a week earlier.
A trader operating in Guangzhou attributed firming sentiment to higher crude oil prices which surged after OPEC’s decision to cut production. “Local PP and PE markets increased by around CNY200-300/ton ($29-44/ton) when compared to last week while overall ranges for import prices are stable to $20-30/ton firmer. Following the crude oil gains, PP and LLDPE futures witnessed visible increases since both CNPC and Sinopec are still reported to have low inventory levels. However, demand is still not supporting the current scene at all,” the seller commented.
An Indonesian woven bag converter stated, “We are not feeling sure whether the recent upturn in China will be sustained next week as demand is not strong enough to support firmer prices now. We already covered our needs until February; hence we are now on the sidelines of the market, only monitoring the developments.”
In China, the overall range for import PP raffia prices currently stand at $1020-1050/ton on a CIF, cash equivalent basis. For PE, import ranges are currently quoted at $1320-1360/ton for LDPE film, at $1118-1180/ton for HDPE film and at $1060-1231/ton for LLDPE film with the same terms.
Meanwhile, in the local PVC market, prices were reported to remain on a softening note this week despite the recent bullish developments both in the upstream and futures markets. The softening was led by slowing demand in line with the beginning of off-season for PVC applications as well as increasing supplies from import markets arriving at the eastern parts of China. Meanwhile, many buyers concurred that China’s local acetylene based PVC market had already reached its peak levels in the past weeks.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Indian PVC players expect bullish trend to taper off for August
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?