China's PP market at almost 2-year low; H2 outlook bearish
As the market is about to end the first half of the year on a bearish note, players are hardly optimistic about the H2 outlook, pointing to the ongoing abundance in local polyolefin supplies, the upcoming PP start-ups and escalating concerns over the US-China trade war.
Import raffia offers near $1000 threshold
As can be seen in the graph below created by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the country’s local homo-PP market has been on a downward trend since around mid April while import prices have followed suit for the past six weeks.
The weekly average of homo-PP raffia prices on CFR China basis has posted a cumulative reduction of almost $100/ton since the downtrend kicked off, with the low end of the price range approaching the $1000/ton threshold.
New PP capacities reinforce supply concerns
Local polyolefin supplies in China have been ample ever since the end of the Chinese New Year holiday in February. Concerns over supply have grown recently due to the new capacities that are planned to come on stream in China in the second half of the year.
An additional capacity of around 5 million tons/year will be added to the China’s total PP capacity if H2 start-ups can be completed as expected.
Unpromising demand amid trade tensions, weaker yuan
The prolonged trade tensions with the US and the weaker yuan against the US dollar have kept Chinese buyers on the sidelines, casting a shadow over the demand outlook.
A trader noted, “During the first half of the year, local polyolefin supplies in China have remained long. Now that the new start-ups are on the agenda, it seems like oversupply woes will occupy the market. We also don’t expect to see a revival on the demand side until September.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- US HDPE, LLDPE fall below $800 in Turkey; does further weakness lurk ahead?
- SE Asia’s import homo-PP market sinks to 3-and-a-half year low
- PVC market in China suffers larger declines than in India
- African PE markets hit historical lows on greater competition from US supply
- Italy’s PVC market takes a downward turn in Nov following ethylene
- Turkey’s import PP market hovers around 3-year low as activity stays depressed
- HDPE moves below LDPE, LLDPE after almost two years in Asia
- Price gap between PS and styrene widens in Asia
- Turkey's polymer imports rebound in Q3; will 2019 end with a smaller-than-expected fall?
- China's PE imports hit a new record of 12 m tons in first 3 quarters