China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
China’s local homo-PP market has been standing on the firm side since the first half of September while the import homo-PP market responded to this firming in the week right before the holiday.
PP futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange have increased by CNY519/ton ($75) as of October 9 when compared to the last trading day ahead of the week-long holiday. As for inventory levels, players have reported that the polyolefin inventories of two major producers were lower-than-expected.
A trader reported that their local raffia offers indicate a CNY200/ton ($29/ton) increase from late September and commented, “Two major producer’s inventory levels have increased during the holiday; but not as much as we expected . Plus, PP futures are quite bullish and demand is good as October is the high-season for PP applications.”
A Ningbo-based trader also reported that they raised their import raffia offers by $20/ton and noted, “Although PP prices are higher, market response is good. PP prices have opened the post-holiday period on a firm note given stronger futures prices, low inventory levels and the impact of the ongoing high-season.”
A seller also opined, “Two major producer’s inventory levels are not as high as expected and the market is strong amid the high-season. Although the ongoing trade war hampers buying interest, we expect PP prices to post further slight increases because of tight supplies and high propylene prices in Asia.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy