China’s growing appetite for PE drives record-high imports
Despite the fact that LDPE, LLDPE and HDPE imports posted monthly decreases in October, the country’s cumulative PE imports reached almost 10 million tons in the January-October period, up by around 20% when compared to the same period of last year.
According to data, China’s HDPE imports in the first ten months of 2017 climbed by 22% on a yearly basis to reach more than 5 million tons, hitting a record high since ChemOrbis began keeping records in 2001.
The country’s LDPE and LLDPE imports also broke record highs in the same timeframe, increasing by around 17% and 20% when compared to the same period of 2016 to reach almost 2 million tons and 2.5 million tons, respectively.
You can track China’s imports on a monthly/yearly and cumulative basis by country and by product (For members only).
HDPE supplies have been reported to be tight across the global markets over the past months, which has driven China’s import HDPE market significantly higher since mid-October. Last week, the weekly average of import HDPE film prices on CFR China basis hit their highest levels since August 2015, according to ChemOrbis Price Index data.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers