China’s import ABS market sinks to 3-month low amid uncertainty in styrene
A Taiwanese producer implemented additional decreases of $30/ton on its ABS offers to China at the start of this week while a Thai producer also cut its ABS offers further by $20-40/ton, with a company source noting that their new offer levels are open to negotiations.
A trader operating in China reported that their ABS offers tumbled by $20-60/ton from last week. “Market activity is lackluster as players are evaluating whether the market sentiment will change or not following the recent rebound in styrene prices. We think that the uncertainty in Asia’s spot styrene market continues to put pressure on ABS,” he commented.
Another trader also opined, “Spot styrene prices have turned firm recently. However, ABS prices are yet to follow suit as demand remains weak. Buyers are cautious about the outlook.”
The weekly average of spot styrene prices on FOB South Korea basis has slightly rebounded from its two-and-a-half-month low, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard data. Despite a week over week increase, spot prices have been tracking a quite volatile trend recently.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem