China’s import PP follows local prices softer, retreat from almost 3-year high
According to the weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Index, China’s import homo-PP market have eased by around $20/ton following a bullish trend that was in place for around five months.
Chinese PP sellers started to divert some of their allocations to Vietnam earlier in March due to weak demand in their own market as was previously mentioned in detail in ChemOrbis Plastics News Chinese sellers divert PP, PE cargoes to Vietnam due to tepid demand .
“Despite the limited number of import offers in China, PP prices could not remain indifferent to thin buying interest and steady losses in the local market,” commented players in China. A trader stated, “We tried to re-export our homo PP cargoes to other destinations including Africa since we were not able to conclude deals in China due to high stocks on part of domestic producers, which totaled around 1 million tons recently. The downturn in the local market dampened buying interest for import PP.”
On part of buyers, manufacturers have not been eager to purchase beyond their basic needs at a time when Dalian Futures were on a downward path which exerted sales pressure on both domestic and import suppliers. PP futures on Dalian Exchange posted drops without ceasing since March 7.
Looking at propylene prices in Asia, spot prices on FOB Korea basis were down by around $10/ton week over week, the data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard revealed, while the cumulative drop reached $55/ton during the last one and a half month.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PE and PVC imports from US flooding Europe
- Indonesia’s polyolefin markets sustain uptrend
- Asian PVC markets shaken by sharp fall in Taiwanese major’s Apr pricing
- March PE prices take split paths in Africa, Mid-East
- Asian PS markets touch 4-month high amid volatile styrene
- Turkey’s PP market attracts deep-sea origins at 4-month high
- European ABS rebounds from 3-year low
- Firming persists in Vietnam’s PE market, shrugging off ethylene
- European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
- PP market up from a year-low in Europe; yet hikes beyond C3 see resistance