China’s import PP follows local prices softer, retreat from almost 3-year high
According to the weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Index, China’s import homo-PP market have eased by around $20/ton following a bullish trend that was in place for around five months.
Chinese PP sellers started to divert some of their allocations to Vietnam earlier in March due to weak demand in their own market as was previously mentioned in detail in ChemOrbis Plastics News Chinese sellers divert PP, PE cargoes to Vietnam due to tepid demand .
“Despite the limited number of import offers in China, PP prices could not remain indifferent to thin buying interest and steady losses in the local market,” commented players in China. A trader stated, “We tried to re-export our homo PP cargoes to other destinations including Africa since we were not able to conclude deals in China due to high stocks on part of domestic producers, which totaled around 1 million tons recently. The downturn in the local market dampened buying interest for import PP.”
On part of buyers, manufacturers have not been eager to purchase beyond their basic needs at a time when Dalian Futures were on a downward path which exerted sales pressure on both domestic and import suppliers. PP futures on Dalian Exchange posted drops without ceasing since March 7.
Looking at propylene prices in Asia, spot prices on FOB Korea basis were down by around $10/ton week over week, the data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard revealed, while the cumulative drop reached $55/ton during the last one and a half month.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy