China’s import PP market yields to mounting trade war, weak demand
Heightened trade tensions weigh on market dynamics
Soon after the latest round of trade talks between two economic giants that started on July 30 in Shanghai, China, President Trump expressed new plans to impose tariffs in a series of tweets.
Accordingly, the US will impose 10% tariffs on an additional $300 billion worth of Chinese goods starting from September 1.
The news found an immediate reflection on the futures market as well as the CNY/USD exchange rates.
Chinese Yuan plunges
On Monday, the Chinese currency dropped to its weakest level against the US dollar in 11 years and triggered a global sell-off in financial markets.
On Tuesday, The People’s Bank of China (PBoC) fixed the yuan’s exchange rate for $1 at 6.5784 yuan.
PP Futures dip 3% on week
September PP futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange witnessed a weekly loss of CNY267/ton ($38/ton) or 3% as of August 6 and continued to put pressure on the PP market, particularly for locals.
Demand is hit hard
The recent sharp depreciation of the yuan against the US dollar has dampened the buying sentiment further for import cargoes.
A trader commented, “The import homo-PP market has shifted direction after the Chinese yuan hit its weakest level against the US dollar in more than a decade early this week. This has hindered demand for import PP cargoes further as buyers are refraining from any fresh purchases now in order to avoid currency fluctuations. We think that the market will lose further ground in the days to come considering weak macroeconomic signals.”
Local PP prices already softening for a month
ChemOrbis Price Index suggests that China’s local PP market retreated from its two-month high in early July.
Since then, the market has remained on a downtrend in the face of lower PP futures, high local polyolefin supplies along with thin demand.
The ongoing softening in the local market is also cited as another factor putting pressure on import prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tightness brings further price hikes in African PP, PE markets
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure
- Stats: China’s total PE imports down for 2nd month in November
- Egypt PET markets poised to end the year on a strong note