China’s local PP, PVC prices pushed up by futures, PE remains unresponsive
However, the futures market does not seem to be able to set the tone of the country’s local PE market. This is because the PE market feels more pressure from the influx of Iranian PE cargoes and the start up of new capacities globally in the second half of this year.
On the Dalian Commodity Exchange, September PP and PVC futures recorded weekly increases of CNY326/ton ($48/ton) and CNY430/ton ($63/ton), respectively as of June 29 while September LLDPE futures posted relatively smaller gain of CNY285/ton ($42/ton) within the same period.
Regarding the reflection of these gains onto local prices, the largest hike attempts have been seen in the local PVC market especially for acetylene-based offers where prices have moved up by around $30/ton on a weekly basis while ethylene-based PVC offers have inched up by $5-10/ton from a week earlier.
Local PP prices have also followed suit with offers being reported $10/ton higher compared to the last week’s range whereas offers for local PE grades have witnessed weekly declines up to $70/ton so far this week.
Upon the recent increases in their local markets, Chinese PP, PVC and PE players are approaching the markets cautiously amidst the weak energy complex and thin buying interest.
“This week, local PVC prices have moved up especially for carbide-based PVC. Ethylene-based PVC prices have also increased given higher futures. However, demand did not pick up following the price increases. If demand remains unresponsive, prices might undergo correction in the short term,” commented a trader.
A PVC buyer confirmed the firming offers, although they expect prices to face a correction, but they are just not sure when.
A Xinjiang based trader said, “This week, China’s local PP have posted some increases on the back of increasing futures despite the ongoing weakness in demand. Meanwhile, PE prices have shrugged off the higher LLDPE futures.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September