China’s local PVC market rebounds from 5-month low
According to weekly average prices on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, local acetylene and ethylene based PVC prices have witnessed an uptick recently after following a mostly decreasing trend since early September.
A source from an acetylene based PVC producer noted, “Local prices have firmed up this week on the back of the rebound in the futures market. Meanwhile, our export offers also increased by $20/ton, following firmer local prices.”
A trader commented, “The local PVC market has turned up slightly since the end of last week given firmer futures. We think the route of the local market will depend on the movements of the futures market.”
A Taiwanese trader commented, “China’s local market is improving this week. We hope this firming will sustain in the next days and support a Taiwanese major’s new prices.”
Meanwhile, Asian PVC players are now waiting for the January announcement of a Taiwanese major in order to see whether the ongoing weak sentiment will come to an end or continue. Some players believe that there is no room for further decreases in the major’s new offers as prices already came down to a certain level within the last few months.
Apart from the recent rebound in China’s local market, modest increases seen in the Indian market over the past week as well as firmer ethylene prices in Asia are expected to give a stronger hand to the Taiwanese major. However, others still argue that more-than-sufficient supplies in India and Southeast Asia along with a possible destocking activity ahead of the year-end may overshadow these firming expectations.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- ABS prices see more-than-a-year low in Asia, Europe
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low