China’s local PVC market rebounds from 5-month low
According to weekly average prices on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, local acetylene and ethylene based PVC prices have witnessed an uptick recently after following a mostly decreasing trend since early September.
A source from an acetylene based PVC producer noted, “Local prices have firmed up this week on the back of the rebound in the futures market. Meanwhile, our export offers also increased by $20/ton, following firmer local prices.”
A trader commented, “The local PVC market has turned up slightly since the end of last week given firmer futures. We think the route of the local market will depend on the movements of the futures market.”
A Taiwanese trader commented, “China’s local market is improving this week. We hope this firming will sustain in the next days and support a Taiwanese major’s new prices.”
Meanwhile, Asian PVC players are now waiting for the January announcement of a Taiwanese major in order to see whether the ongoing weak sentiment will come to an end or continue. Some players believe that there is no room for further decreases in the major’s new offers as prices already came down to a certain level within the last few months.
Apart from the recent rebound in China’s local market, modest increases seen in the Indian market over the past week as well as firmer ethylene prices in Asia are expected to give a stronger hand to the Taiwanese major. However, others still argue that more-than-sufficient supplies in India and Southeast Asia along with a possible destocking activity ahead of the year-end may overshadow these firming expectations.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Non-European PPBC offers at aggressive levels add to bearishness in Italy
- Correction: China, SEA PE markets continue downtrend as Nov ends, what lies ahead in Dec?
- Europe’s dumping case on US and Egyptian PVC: A look at early reactions and possible impacts on trade flows
- Aggressive US PE prices find way to Türkiye, Africa amid year-end stock clearing
- PLAST EURASIA 2023: Players discuss PP, PE outlook amid financial challenges
- Stats: India’s Jan-Sep PVC imports surge, China takes the lion’s share despite safeguard investigation
- Sentiment weakens across African PP, PE markets in November
- HDPE film drops faster than other two main PE film grades in China
- PE prices see larger drops than C2 in Italy, unlike West Europe
- Weak demand sends Türkiye’s styrenics markets to multi-month lows