China’s polymer imports fall for 2nd straight month in May
Polymer imports dipped around 8.3% on the month in May to 1,404,034 tons from 1,532,319 tons in April. On a yearly basis, however, imports were slightly up by 0.2% when compared with the same month of 2014. The top five polymer exporters to China in May were South Korea (207,207 tons), Saudi Arabia (187,904 tons), Taiwan (184,215 tons), Iran (153,027 tons) and the United Arab Emirates (135,028 tons).
In May 2015, the country’s LDPE imports declined by around 4% month over month to reach 189,426 tons while imports rose about 17% when compared to the same month of 2014. Iran was the top LDPE supplier to China with 47,251 tons, followed by South Korea (21,080 tons).
LLDPE imports fell 10.3% on a monthly basis to reach 218,979 tons in May. However, imports were up by 14.6% when compared to May 2014. Singapore was the top supplier to China with 46,456 tons, followed by Saudi Arabia (43,787 tons) and Thailand (25,369 tons).
China’s HDPE imports declined by 9% from April to 411,260 tons in May while imports were down 3.3% on a year over year basis. Iran was the top supplier to China in May with 94,324 tons, followed by Saudi Arabia (79,232 tons), the United Arab Emirates (67,773 tons) and South Korea (46,365 tons).
Imports for homo-PP dropped around 12.7% on the month to reach 250,309 tons in May while they also slipped 11.8% when compared to the same month of the previous year. South Korea stood on the top of the homo-PP import list with 62,996 tons.
PP copolymer imports decreased around 7% month over month to 104,677 tons in May. Taiwan was the top exporter to China with 25,234 tons followed by Singapore (23,868 tons) and South Korea (15,907 tons).
Unlike other polymer products, China’s PVC imports rose 4.5% month on month to 55,468 tons in May. The top PVC exporter to China in May was Taiwan (20,991 tons), followed by the USA (18,460 tons) and Japan (12,357 tons).
Meanwhile, China’s PS imports fell 13.6% month over month to 46,233 tons in May. Taiwan was the top PS exporter to China in May with 19,735 tons.
Meanwhile, the country’s ABS imports for May posted a decrease of around 4% on the month to 124,548 tons while imports were also down around 3.3% year over year. Taiwan stood on the top of the ABS import list with 69,473 tons, followed by South Korea (39,667 tons).
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops
- Turkey’s PP market on par with China, LLDPE and HDPE trade at discount
- Bearish trend persists in July for PP, PE in Mid-East, Africa
- Vietnam’s PE market sees first hike attempts after two months