China’s polymer markets open post-holiday period on a firm note
In the PP and PE markets, a trader based in Xiamen stated, “Local polyolefin prices remain on a firm path following the end of the holiday due to higher futures prices as well as CNPC and Sinopec’s hike decisions. As for the import markets, we are yet to receive fresh offers from overseas suppliers, but we think that they will approach the market with increases for March. In China, many end users are yet to return to their desks after the holiday. The polyolefin outlook will be clearer next week.”
When it comes to PVC, a few players voiced their expectations of seeing higher levels from a major Taiwanese producer for March. A trader opined, “We believe that the producer will apply a minimum increase of $30/ton on their new offers for March in the upcoming weeks since they will receive better demand from India, where the impact of the demonetization is expected to ease further by March.”
In the styrenics markets, a trader reported that a Taiwanese producer applied significant increases on their ABS and PS prices to China after the holiday. The producer lifted their GPPS and HIPS offers by $200/ton from their pre-holiday levels, bringing their new prices to $1670/ton and to $1750/ton, respectively, on a CIF China, cash basis. For ABS, they issued a hike of $150/ton, with their offers currently standing at $2060/ton with the same terms. Following the producer’s hikes, import ABS prices to China broke above the $2000/ton threshold for the first time since October 2014.
In the PET market, a few traders reported that export PET prices from China witnessed fresh gains of around $20-50/ton following the end of the Chinese New Year holiday, reaching $1035-1040$/ton on an FOB, cash basis. “PET offers are pushed higher by rising MEG and PTA prices, rather than real demand,” commented a seller.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm