China targets steady economic growth for 2018
China will reportedly prioritize investing in social fields namely education, healthcare and public services to boost the quality of economic growth. The country will also promote investment in innovation and entrepreneurship in emerging industries.
In line with the endeavor to rein in financial risks, the country previously announced a new set of rules on three Chinese policy banks to prevent them from over-lending.
In addition, the country is planning to invest CNY800 billion (about $122 billion) in road construction and renovation starting from next year.
On the other hand, the World Bank expects the country’s economic growth to lose steam due to the government’s tighter domestic policy. In line with the country’s new economic management policies laid out during the Central Economic Work Conference, the World Bank revised China’s economic growth forecast down to 6.5% for 2018, down from the estimate of 6.8% for 2017.
Meanwhile, the Chinese economy expanded by 6.8% in the third quarter of 2017. However, the country’s official manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) slowed slightly to the reading of 50.8 in November from 51 in October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will European PP, PE markets take a break from firming trend in June?
- US PE prices move down on weak appetite from export markets
- Further price cuts in Vietnam’s PP market fail to revive demand
- Asian PS, ABS markets remain weak on rising trade tensions
- Spot styrene sharply down in Europe and Asia
- Expectations soften for PP raffia, fibre yet to follow in Turkey
- Will PE supplies from China flock to SEA?
- LDPE, LLDPE highest since Q3 2018; HDPE at 6-month high in Europe
- Intensifying trade war adds to bearishness in China’s local PP, PE markets
- PET prices hit multi-month lows in Asia and Europe