China targets steady economic growth for 2018
China will reportedly prioritize investing in social fields namely education, healthcare and public services to boost the quality of economic growth. The country will also promote investment in innovation and entrepreneurship in emerging industries.
In line with the endeavor to rein in financial risks, the country previously announced a new set of rules on three Chinese policy banks to prevent them from over-lending.
In addition, the country is planning to invest CNY800 billion (about $122 billion) in road construction and renovation starting from next year.
On the other hand, the World Bank expects the country’s economic growth to lose steam due to the government’s tighter domestic policy. In line with the country’s new economic management policies laid out during the Central Economic Work Conference, the World Bank revised China’s economic growth forecast down to 6.5% for 2018, down from the estimate of 6.8% for 2017.
Meanwhile, the Chinese economy expanded by 6.8% in the third quarter of 2017. However, the country’s official manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) slowed slightly to the reading of 50.8 in November from 51 in October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam PP, PE markets keep rising but some cautiousness remains
- Malaysia PP exports almost triple in February
- Spot ethylene markets rally on diminishing supply in Asia, Europe
- Will European PP markets change direction after 3 months?
- Turkish PP, PE players leaving market for holiday with firm post-Eid expectations
- June PVC hikes exceed expectations in Asia, sustainability under discussion
- Import PS, ABS markets recover amid upstream gains in Egypt
- PP, PE markets on a slight uptrend in Indonesia despite Ramadan lull
- European PE hovers around 11-year low, is reversal near?
- US PVC prices bounce on heels of eased stock pressure