China targets steady economic growth for 2018
China will reportedly prioritize investing in social fields namely education, healthcare and public services to boost the quality of economic growth. The country will also promote investment in innovation and entrepreneurship in emerging industries.
In line with the endeavor to rein in financial risks, the country previously announced a new set of rules on three Chinese policy banks to prevent them from over-lending.
In addition, the country is planning to invest CNY800 billion (about $122 billion) in road construction and renovation starting from next year.
On the other hand, the World Bank expects the country’s economic growth to lose steam due to the government’s tighter domestic policy. In line with the country’s new economic management policies laid out during the Central Economic Work Conference, the World Bank revised China’s economic growth forecast down to 6.5% for 2018, down from the estimate of 6.8% for 2017.
Meanwhile, the Chinese economy expanded by 6.8% in the third quarter of 2017. However, the country’s official manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) slowed slightly to the reading of 50.8 in November from 51 in October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Firming in China PE market stronger than PP since mid-June
- Asian ethylene, propylene falter on bearish crude and oversupply
- Oil plunge weighs on PET bottle sentiment in Asia, Europe
- ABS reverses losses after 8 weeks in Asia; will upturn be sustainable?
- Import delays support European PP suppliers in July
- Asian PET markets in limbo between high costs and tepid demand
- India PVC sentiment improves further despite lower Aug offers from Taiwan
- Asian ethylene, propylene prices remain bullish but caution lingers
- African PP, PE markets offer mixed bag for July
- European PVC suppliers seek hikes for 14th straight month in July