China targets steady economic growth for 2018
China will reportedly prioritize investing in social fields namely education, healthcare and public services to boost the quality of economic growth. The country will also promote investment in innovation and entrepreneurship in emerging industries.
In line with the endeavor to rein in financial risks, the country previously announced a new set of rules on three Chinese policy banks to prevent them from over-lending.
In addition, the country is planning to invest CNY800 billion (about $122 billion) in road construction and renovation starting from next year.
On the other hand, the World Bank expects the country’s economic growth to lose steam due to the government’s tighter domestic policy. In line with the country’s new economic management policies laid out during the Central Economic Work Conference, the World Bank revised China’s economic growth forecast down to 6.5% for 2018, down from the estimate of 6.8% for 2017.
Meanwhile, the Chinese economy expanded by 6.8% in the third quarter of 2017. However, the country’s official manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) slowed slightly to the reading of 50.8 in November from 51 in October.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Energy consumption curbs start to bite Chinese petchem markets
- Spot PE markets yield to fading demand, better availability in Europe
- Turkey’s PS, EPS markets retain uptrend on low availability
- China’s PP, PE and PVC markets continue to offer poor netbacks despite better sentiment
- LDPE run-up enters its third month in China as tightness persists
- African PP, PE markets extend gains into Sept on tightness
- European PS follows SM lower in Sept, ABS flat on tightness
- Turkey PP, PE markets propelled higher by shipping bottlenecks in Sept
- Are record-high PVC prices the new normal amid enduring pandemic?
- European PVC up for 16th month in Sept, prices touch new highs