Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
Export PET offers cautiously rebound from three-year low
ChemOrbis data shows that the weekly average of export PET offers from China has displayed a cautious recovery this week after hitting their lowest levels not seen since mid-November 2016.
Hike attempts emerge despite unsupportive demand
A few Chinese producers have applied slight hike attempts within the range of $10-20/ton from last week, mainly citing the support from the cost side.
Meanwhile, there were other Chinese suppliers who have elected to apply a flat pricing given the lack of support from demand.
Spot MEG prices follow futures higher
Spot MEG prices in Asia have followed the rise in the futures market. January MEG futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange increased 3.6% on the week as of September 10.
In addition to the futures, spot MEG prices have also found support from low inventories.
Crude oil futures also give an upper hand to sellers
Crude oil futures have started September on firm footing, supporting the sentiment. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, October WTI (NYMEX) crude oil futures have reached a nine-week high recently.
Cautious mood lingers among buyers
Although sellers have used the rise in crude oil futures and spot MEG prices as an advantage to ask for hikes, the cautious mood among the buyers has lingered considering the long-term uncertainty over trade tensions with the US and the weaker global economy outlook.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets