Chinese industrial output falls for 2nd month
Industrial output increased by 6% on the year in August, falling short of expectations calling for a growth of 6.6%. This was marked as the smallest increase recorded since the beginning of this year.
The increase in retail sales slightly slowed to 10.1% in August on the year while fixed asset investment expanded by 7.8% on a yearly basis. Both figures defied higher expectations.
According to a spokeswoman of China’s National Bureau of Statistics, the economy held a steady momentum of increase, although the country’s recent political tensions in the region is blurring the long-term outlook. On the flip side, others argue that China’s economy already performed a healthy growth at 6.9% in the first half of the year, which surprised many. Therefore, the country will easily meet its yearly growth target at 6.5%, they say.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PVC prices flat for 2nd straight month in Italy and West Europe
- Freight rates snap rally, Red Sea crisis keeps decreases in check
- Worsening dollar shortage pushes Egypt’s local PP, PE prices to never-before-seen highs
- Stats: US PE exports hit a renewed record in 2023, sales to China boom
- Türkiye’s PP market continues to grapple with tight supply, prices at multi-month highs
- Margin expansion targets push Italy’s PE film markets to multi-month highs
- LDPE prices rise faster than other PP, PE products in India’s bullish market
- Headwinds await China’s PP, PE markets post-holiday period
- Türkiye’s 2023 imports set a new record at 6.3 million tons; PE, PVC and ABS shine out
- Modest supply sends PVC prices to almost 5-month highs in Türkiye