Chinese polymer sellers seek increases after holidays
“We expect to see some limited upward movement in prices as buyers built up smaller than usual pre-holiday stocks. Activity is still limited in the market as many buyers have not yet returned from the holidays,” a distributor stated. A trader offering imported PP and PE commented, “Import prices for PP and PE are up by around $20-40/ton compared with the pre-holiday period. We believe that deals will be achieved at higher levels after the holidays and we have heard that some deals for Middle Eastern LDPE film are already being concluded with increases.”
A distributor offering domestic PP and PE added, “Local prices for PP and PE have gained ground after the holidays and we believe that prices will record some additional upward movement before stabilizing.”
In the PVC market, several acetylene based producers reported lifting their export prices in line with better sales to the domestic market. “Domestic prices are moving up, so we raised our export offers accordingly. We are seeing limited interest from our overseas customers for now as they claim that there are competitive offers for conventional PVC available in the market,” a source at a domestic producer stated. A trader offering ethylene based PVC for export commented, “Acetylene based PVC producers have raised their prices by as much as $40/ton, so we are only offering ethylene based materials for now as we feel that acetylene based cargoes will struggle to compete.”
An agent representing a domestic PS and ABS producer reported lifting their prices following the holidays. “Our supplier raised their offers in response to firmer spot styrene costs. Buying interest is still limited for now, but we believe that more players will be back to the market next week and that a clearer outlook will emerge,” the trader stated. A South Korean producer reported lifting their ABS prices to China while adding that they have not decided on their new PS prices yet.
PET prices also opened the post-holiday period on a firm note, with a trader commenting that they raised their export prices by $10/ton. “We are still waiting for more players to return to the market, but most sellers are seeking some increases on their initial post-holiday prices,” the trader stated.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia