Competitive pressure from PP, PET looms over PS in Italy
A manufacturer in Italy reported, “We keep our production rates at lower rates considering that hefty hikes on PS discouraged our end product buyers from purchasing. We are switching to other polymers such as PP, PET as another round of three digit hikes are awaited in March. Moreover, we have purchased two new PET lines with 20,000 tons/year capacity and we will reduce our PS production by 60% by 2018.”
A sheet extruder, meanwhile, noted that the upward trend in the PS market might not be sustainable in the long-run due to the competition with PP and PET, considering PS prices reached rather high levels.
As was noted before, the gap between PS and PP as well as the gap between PS and PET remain at a record high in Italy as a result of the consecutive hikes in sizeable amounts in PS prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years
- SEA cracker outages and lack of deep-sea cargoes underpin olefin prices in Asia
- US origin hammers import PVC prices into Asia
- China PE markets stay bearish with import prices below new thresholds
- Oil producers boast record Q3 earnings but chemical margins under pressure
- Aggressive imports, long supplies weigh on Europe’s ABS markets