Competitive pressure from PP, PET looms over PS in Italy
A manufacturer in Italy reported, “We keep our production rates at lower rates considering that hefty hikes on PS discouraged our end product buyers from purchasing. We are switching to other polymers such as PP, PET as another round of three digit hikes are awaited in March. Moreover, we have purchased two new PET lines with 20,000 tons/year capacity and we will reduce our PS production by 60% by 2018.”
A sheet extruder, meanwhile, noted that the upward trend in the PS market might not be sustainable in the long-run due to the competition with PP and PET, considering PS prices reached rather high levels.
As was noted before, the gap between PS and PP as well as the gap between PS and PET remain at a record high in Italy as a result of the consecutive hikes in sizeable amounts in PS prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September
- Force majeure declarations rock the boat in Turkish PVC market
- China’s PE uptrend fueled by US force majeures; LDPE soars to more than 1-year high
- Stats: China’s cumulative PP imports in Jan-July 2020 reach record-high
- Sept PP, PE trend begins to take shape in Saudi Arabia
- Sept expectations voiced in Europe; ABS draws rosier picture than PS