Cost-driven hikes keep Asian PET bottle prices on uptrend for two weeks
ChemOrbis Price Index suggests that the weekly averages of FOB China/South Korea and CIF SEA prices have gained $10-30/ton during the recent uptrend, erasing some of the losses recorded during a downward trend that lasted for three steady weeks.
The weekly averages are currently standing at $1000/ton CIF SEA, $980/ton FOB Korea, and $960/ton for FOB China, meanwhile.
Upstream values firmer
ChemOrbis Price Wizard data show an increase of $25/ton in spot PX spot prices, reaching $1050/ton on a CFR China basis. PTA and MEG spot prices hovered at last week’s levels of $760/ton and $525/ton, respectively, both on the same terms.
China local demand fares better than exports
A Chinese trader raised their FOB offers for another week, saying, “We have raised our export offers further amid the ongoing rally of key feedstocks like PX, PTA, and MEG. But in terms of demand, domestic sales have been better than exports.”
The prices were assessed unchanged from the previous week at CNY7100-7250/ton ($901-930/ton excluding VAT) ex-warehouse, cash.
SE Asian domestic PET players struggle with currency depreciation
While several regional producers have continued to raise their FOB offers to the region as a result of firm cost support, local PET prices have stayed mostly stable amid currency woes.
Affirming this, a South Korean producer said, “With most Southeast Asian currencies still depreciating against the US dollar, buyers are facing challenges in finding funds for their purchases.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Vietnam local PP, PE markets stay on downtrend as demand still sluggish
- Subdued PP, PE demand weigh on March hikes in Europe
- Global PP markets buckle up for massive capacity additions from China
- India PP, PE markets change direction in line with regional trends in Asia
- Mid-Eastern PP, PE markets extend gains into March amid squeezed supply
- European PS spirals down amid lower styrene, frail demand
- Import PVC prices succumb to subdued demand in Türkiye
- Vietnam’s import PE markets falter again as buyers on wait-and-see
- Ample Chinese availability, weak Indian demand hammer Asian PVC markets
- Asian PS, ABS markets fail to sustain post-CNY spark despite cost pressures