Delta between HDPE and ethylene at almost 5-year-low in Europe
Buyers’ limited buying interest ahead of the Easter holidays played a role in increased supplies, particularly for HDPE grades. Switching to the biodegradable products instead of HDPE film also reduced consumption for this product. “There are competitive non-European HDPE offers from traders who are rather aggressive,” regional players agree.
This has resulted in a narrowing gap between HDPE and ethylene prices as spot ethylene prices recently showed an increase of around €20/ton on average compared to the beginning of this month, according to ChemOrbis Price Wizard. The gap between HDPE film prices in Italy and spot ethylene prices in Europe has recently narrowed to €128/ton, marking the smallest difference since July 2012.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
A distributor from Italy noted, “Our West European supplier came lower on its April offers to match the current market level. We concluded deals with €50/ton decreases for HDPE b/m and injection and we expect further decreases in HDPE prices as there are competitive offers in the market.”
However, another distributor from Germany reported, “Stronger crude and naphtha costs along with the recent increases in the spot ethylene market may prevent further decreases in the PE market.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers