Delta between ethylene and acetylene based PVC narrows in China
PVC futures on the Dalian Commodity Exchange posted a weekly increase of $22/ton as of May 23 and also lend support firmer local prices in China. Plus, ethylene prices in Asia declined by around $150/ton when compared to early May levels.
Data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Index also shows that ethylene based PVC prices on an ex-warehouse China basis are currently traded with a premium of around $38/ton over acetylene based PVC, which is the smallest gap seen since late November 2016.
A trader commented, “The gap between ethylene and acetylene based PVC is getting smaller in China due to maintenance shutdowns at several acetylene based PVC plants. We think prices will hover around their current levels and demand will be more important insetting the tone of the market in the near term.”
Another trader noted, “Acetylene and ethylene based PVC prices are getting closer to each other. If the current trend persists, demand for ethylene based PVC may improve soon although overall demand remains weak in China.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Bearish PP trend takes no respite on lackluster demand in Turkey
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months
- Turkish PP and PE players voice bearish expectations for May
- China’s local homo-PP prices slide below imports
- Irregular PE origins emerge at competitive prices in Europe
- Mid-Eastern sellers backpedal in Africa on competitive PP, PE offers from Asia
- European PVC set to extend longest rising streak into May