Downtrend for propylene continues in Asia despite maintenance season
A good number of crackers and PDH units in China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are scheduled to be shut for maintenance in the February-April period, which is supposed to exert upward pressure on propylene in Asia. However, players note that the spot market has defied the maintenance season so far and maintained its softening path given ample supplies in China where demand is reported to be lukewarm.
“Several PP producers across Asia either shut their plants or reduce operating rates nowadays due to negative margins or maintenance work. Hence demand for propylene has failed to improve,” some opined.
To track the most updated PP and propylene production news, please see PP Production News (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand