Egypt’s import PP, PE markets turn stable to firm despite thin demand
An agent of a different Saudi producer applied increases of $40/ton both on PP and PE offers. The producer offers PP raffia and injection at $1170/ton, PP block copolymer at $1200/ton and LLDPE film at $1200/ton, all on CIF Alexandria, 90 days basis.
The source noted that these increases were expected given the firming upstream markets and the globally upward momentum in PP and PE markets despite the weak market conditions in Egypt. However, he added that the market remains silent for now because of the Eid holidays.
A Middle Eastern producer, meanwhile, approached the market with rollovers for its PE offers at $1240-1260/ton for LDPE, $1180-1200/ton for LLDPE and $1160-1180/ton for HDPE film, all on CIF Alexandria, 90 days basis.
A source from the producer commented that supplies are comfortable whereas demand remains thin. “Players are away from the market due to the approaching Eid holiday. However, we expect demand to improve somewhat after the holiday,” he said.
Egyptian buyers, on the other hand, argue that the market is not strong enough to digest any hikes due to the recession in place. They widely continue to expect discounts on deals.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will PVC prices ever come back to the pre-pandemic levels?
- Global petchem companies’ profits surge in Q1
- Polymer demand takes a heavy knock from deepening COVID crisis in India
- Stats: Turkey’s polymer imports rise to fresh records in Q1
- HDPE set to reach a plateau in Europe, LDPE fares better
- Bearish PP trend takes no respite on lackluster demand in Turkey
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months